Thursday, July 8, 2010

Interruptions and Process

 Moon Mandala, Peggy Sue McRae, 2009, Oil on Panel

Sometimes I don’t paint at all because I know I am going to be interrupted. How I deal with this issue has a direct effect on my art making process. After a period of not painting at all, feeling frustrated, I finally put a small 12x12 inch panel on my dining room table and just painted a little bit when I could. Eventually I had a finished painting.

The paintings that I am working on now are similarly constructed. I start with basic geometric patterns and layer color on each part until the “universe” of my painting reaches a dynamic state of harmony. Between painting sessions I look at the work, studying it to decide what it needs next. In this way the painting slowly evolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment